Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Aspens changing


Joe and I decided to go look at the aspens this weekend. We've had a very warm September, so there was lots of color. I think I finally understand how the leaves change colors, and because we haven't had a hard frost yet, or at least not many frosty nights, the aspens still mostly have their leaves. We drove up to Cripple Creek which is at 10,000 feet (well OK, it's actually about 9,600) and the trees were just amazing. The ones in our backyard have all mostly lost their leaves already, but as you can see form the pictures, not so here.
We left to drive up at about 8:00. It was a beautiful day, and because we left so early we missed the traffic going up.

I don't know if you can see it very well, but in the first picture there is a lot of orange and red (for aspens). We don't  usually see that. Very cool.  
I thought these rocks were really cool looking. I was thinking they might be able to become a quilt or something. Joe decided he would go stand in front of them to shave some perspective of the size of the formation.

Pretty cool, huh?

4 comments:

Wordfiend said...

The trees and rocks are beautiful. Glad you got the picture with Joe in it, because the scale I was picturing was completely different.

Joyce said...

Those rocks are amazing. Most of our beautiful fall leaves have blown off in the last few windy days. I guess that means snow soon.

Allie said...

I love the changing colors of the leaves - we're starting to turn here. This weekend we're supposed to get frost, so I hope the ones that are still green don't just fall off. Those rocks are AMAZING - glad you had Joe stand in front of them, I had no clue from the first pic how large they were!

Anonymous said...

Just beautiful! I was in Ruidoso, NM last weekend and they haven't started to change there yet. :-(

Have a wonderful weekend!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...