Sunday, November 7, 2010

Design Wall Monday

I'm posting this a bit early so I don't forget.

Another week has come and gone. I've finished the tumblers top. I think I might need to add another row of tumblers. It seems a little long and narrow to me. When I measure it's 50 1/2" by 72". Maybe I'll just border it on three sides so that it's not quite so long.

I've been working on the banner again. I think I figured out today why I was avoiding it. The step I've started to work on today is stenciling with the Shiva Paint Sticks. I've never done this before and I really didn't know what I was doing. I saw a video about how to make stencils with freezer paper, and today I just saw another post about using freezer paper on the back to stabilize the fabric. Once I saw that I decided to just go for it. I haven't sewn the pieced shield to the background yet, so I can still dye another piece if this comes out looking horrible.

To stencil the letters I first printed them in a font and size that would work, then I placed freezer paper over the print and cut out the letters. Once I did that (with a few weeks between) I ironed a piece of freezer paper to the back of the banner, then placed the stencil on the front and ironed it down well. I was a bit afraid that the small piece in the A might come up when I painted the black in, but it is sticking well so far.

When I had the letters down, I got out the black paint stick and took off the skin, then using the stencil brush I got some paint on it by brushing against the paint stick. I pounced on the plate to get the color into the bristles of the stencil brush, then starting from the edges on the paper side, I pounced into the letters. It takes a while to get the letters filled, and to make sure the edges are sharp, I went back and pounced from the inside to the edges, especially at the corners.

You might wonder why I chose a method I've never done before on this banner. Well, I'm not an appliqué-r, so that option was out. I don't really like the look of machine satin stitched edges--and this fabric is silk and a bit loosely woven, so I didn't think that would work. I was  bit stuck, till I saw that video and I finally settled on stenciling. I did a test and it looked pretty good, so I'm going with it!

I have to wait 72 hours now, before I can heat-set the oil stick and continue with the sewing.

To see what other people have on their design walls, check out Judy's blog.


Allie said...

Your tumbler quilt is just lovely - yes, I would add another row, or a border, especially on the sides. Good for you on trying something new, it sounds wonderful and I can't wait to see this done - it's looking terrific!

Kathie said...

love all the colors in your tumblers.

Bonnie said...

How did you like working with the paint sticks. It seems to have done the job on this project. I look forward to seeing it after you remove the paper.

Jo said...

Your tumblers are cute...I have it on my list to make a quilt like yours but you know the's a LONG list.

Cathy said...

That's a very creative solution to completing that part of your project. I'm sure itwill look fabulous.

Chris said...

The stenciling is great. Good option!

AnnieO said...

The Tumblers look wonderful. But I'm wondering how only putting borders on three sides will keep the quilt from getting longer, LOL!

Nice investigative work on the stencils. Seems like it is working well for you!

Denise :) said...

Your banner is beautiful -- I love the subtle colors! :)


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...