Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Jelly Roll Race Top-modified

Here is the Jelly Roll Race top. I modified it a bit. The idea of putting spacers between the colors came from a blog I read. I think it was from   Wanda at Exuberant Color but I can't remember for sure. I like the idea of sewing the strips end to end instead of on the diagonal, and I like the idea of the spacers. The one that sticks in my brain (that I haven't been able to find again) has fabric with a circular pattern on it--black and white. I really liked it, and decided I would do something like that. I ended up with plain black, because I was shopping at Walmart on my way to babysitting and they didn't have a black and white print I liked.

When I was done, it was much too square for my liking, about 61 x 64, so I decided I would chop some off the short side (5 inches on each side) and sew them to the leftover quilt. I like the way it turned out and now it's closer to 50 x 70, which feels better for a lap quilt. I don't think I'm going to put borders on it, just fleece for the batting and backing and quilt it simply.

A quick happy quilt top. It took me significantly longer than the 35 minutes I saw was the fastest time on the video I first watched, but not terribly long. I have a box of strips, and I think that's what I'm going to do for the next one. I don't know if I'll user spacers or not, but just measure up about 1,600 inches of strips and get going.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...