Sunday, August 8, 2010

A Quick Top...and a Request...and Design Wall Monday

This is a quick top I made today. I'm not loving the fabric I chose (I used some background that I bought quite a while ago that isn't very exciting) and bits of yellow and green I had. The pattern is easy and available for free from Crazy Mom Quilts. She has made a number of them, and I like her color choices much better than this, but it will do. I'm going to use this for a charity quilt donation and plan to make a few more at least. I may piece some of the squares instead of having them all solid colors.

The other quilt is one I'm trying to make a decision about. If you check out this post you'll see that I'm thinking of adding a simple border. Either just the blue I used for the background or one with a narrow strip of peach. Looking at the picture of the quilt here I'm thinking I may just add a 2 inch border (as I did on the top and bottom) to finish it off.

What do you think?


15 comments:

Allie said...

That's a cute top you made, Mary - looks like you could have some fun with the quilting. I do like the colors!
What about a darker narrow border? Instead of the peach, what about a dark blue? I just can't decide which one I like better - I'm no help, I know!

Wordfiend said...

Ah, I do love that kaleidoscope quilt. What about a complementary golden-yellow border? Would it be too clashy?

Nina Marie said...

I think that every quilt should have lime green in it! This shows how pretty a simple layout can be!

Sarah said...

I LOVE that Stack-n-Whack - it's beautiful! Personally, I think there is so much to see with the different blocks, that a plain border of the blue gives your eyes a little place to rest between looking at the individual blocks, so I vote for the plain blue border.

Kathie said...

The top quilt really looks like a fun one to do and the other quilt is beautiful.

Judy D in WA said...

I love your quilt top and quilting is going to change it alot. Someone is going to be very happy with it!

I'm no help on the border! But I do like the way the blocks float above the blue.

Diane said...

OH my I thought the same thing as Allie before I read her comment! I would put a dark blue strip in-but that's cuz I love blue!probably pulling any of the quilt top colors in dark would be great. I think the peachy color is going too light or pastel-y or something.

Beth said...

I vote for a small insert (flange, piping with no piping?) of something with a flash of color...how about a yellow or that pink I see in the blocks? oh..and the blue border...clear as mud? lolol

Barbara said...

Pretty quilts! About the border . . . hm . . . I like the idea of the border, but I'm not sold on the peach. It's hard to tell, but does it match the colors in the quilt? If so, then I like it. If not, I might choose one of the pinks.

Cathy said...

I like the peachey border, along with the blue. It adds a bit of sparkle to it.

Cathy said...

I like the peach border, in between the blues. It adds a bit of sparkle to it.

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

Oh no, I love the lime green guy! I am hand quilting a lime green and yellow one right now! I love it.

glen

Gari in AL said...

I really like the top quilt but that could be because I like the colors you chose for your blocks. I got that pattern, too, and plan to make 2-3 charity quilts with it. As for the blue quilt, I would border it with the background color so the blocks are the only focal point(s). It is beautiful, by the way.

Alycia said...

I like the top you made. I think the colors are very nice. But I like greens and yellows ;-)

swooze said...

I like the peach and green top. I do think the blue needs a darker border if one at all. Not sure about peach.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...