Sunday, February 23, 2014

Aspen Leaves progress

Here is the progress I've made so far on the aspen leaves quilt. The largest leaf is about 27 x 27 on the longest dimensions.



So here is my light box, works great, but only during certain hours of the day. If you'll click on the picture you can see that the paper has three leaves on it. The paper is parchment from a roll I've had a long time. It's great for tracing, but it's going to be gone one day so I want to be careful with it. I used different colored markers to make each leaf, so I wouldn't get confused while I was tracing the pieces onto the freezer paper.


After I traced the whole shape I cut each section so I had a pattern for each color in the leaf. (I finally remembered on the last leaf to make register marks so I could transfer them to the pattern pieces before I cut them apart). I turned the paper on the window wrong side down so the pieces would be the right way when I ironed the freezer paper piece to the fabric.

Once the pattern was ironed onto the fabric, I used a ruler and measured 1/4 inch from the edge of the paper while cutting with a rotary cutter. When I was done with each color I traced around the pattern and made the register marks. I also labeled the pieces with letters to help ease confusion.


  I stuck a pin through each mark and used them to line up the seams, then I pinned a lot more. I figured there weren't that many pieces and the more pins the merrier!








Here you can see the pencil outline. I traced around each freezer paper piece before I removed it.

I played around a lot with MS Paint to see if I could find a background I liked that I wouldn't have to dye. I wasn't having much luck, and then I remembered I bought a bunch of ombre fabric a while ago. I pulled it all out and I think it's going to work. I think I'm going to cut squares, I think so the finished size will be four inches, and sew them together so they kind of blend like my original idea. The colors won't be exactly the same, but I think I can make it work.

7 comments:

dq said...

I love your leaves and your light box. I have a pretty similar light box at my house and it always works great! That room is SO PRETTY by the way.

Ramona said...

Your Aspen Leaf quilt is really coming along nicely. It is going to be a beauty. I, too, have the same type of light box. :) Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Kristin said...

Your leaves are very pretty. :)

Scooquilt said...

This is going to be terrific, Mary! I love aspen leaves, and these are big enough to make a statement! You and I have to same kind of lightbox.

Libby in TN said...

I admire your creativity. Can't wait to see the finished product!

Nell's Quilts said...

Your aspen leaves project is beautiful. Can't wait to see the finished project.

Debby said...

Love the colors, Mary. This is going to be very pretty.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...