Monday, October 22, 2012
Tuesday, October 16, 2012
Putting the letters together was a bit like a puzzle, and I may have at least one or two more quilts in me yet.
Monday, October 15, 2012
Here is what is on the design wall at the moment. I finished the first alphabet quilt and decided to do at least one more, but with a few modifications to the shapes of the letters. I used graph paper to draw them out, and am being a bit more intentional about the shapes and colors I am using.
To see more design walls, check out Judy's blog.
Sunday, October 14, 2012
I like the colors so far. I decided to use prints this time, but monochromatic so that they look almost like solids.I also decided to use white as the background, even though it's a baby quilt. I guess the recipient can worry about keeping it clean! I plan to make it machine washable, so that should make it a bit easier.
It was fun to piece the letters. I didn't really plan, just looked at the shapes and made them up as I went along. I will change a few I think...the O, the P and the R for sure. Maybe A and V.
Fun quilt and didn't take too long, but it did make a mess. Fleece for the backing/batting I believe.
I don't know if I'll get this done it time, but if I do it's off for the new baby on the 23rd.
Monday, October 8, 2012
To see more design walls, check Judy's blog.
Posted by Mary at 6:40 AM
Sunday, October 7, 2012
here ) and decided I could do it, but with my own twist. So...here it is. I just bought some gray, and I have solids I have been wanting to play with. I don't remember if the gray is this dark or not, but if so, I still think it looks cool. At the moment, two babies on the way, one a great niece, the other a co-worker, so time to get going.
Saturday, October 6, 2012
...have to do with that?
Well, Joe asked that I make some bacon peanut brittle, so I did.
He thinks it's just marvelous, and I think it's OK. I don't really notice the bacon flavor, so I don't think it's a big deal, but if it makes my honey happy, well, there you go.
Posted by Mary at 3:12 PM
Monday, October 1, 2012
So, I decided to give it one more shot. One of the biggest problems I had was wasting fabric. There is no way around that, but when the motivation is there, I am willing to let that go. The result of not wanting to waste fabric was that I had problems covering all of the space on the patterns, and I couldn't get over it. I bought a video a while ago. I understood at the time that Carol Doak was a queen of paper piecing and I saw the video at a local quilt store and bought it. I watched it at the time, but since I wasn't convinced that the method was worth the trouble it really didn't cause a change in my attitude.
Yesterday, because of the pattern I found that I wanted to piece, I watched it again. It was very helpful, except for one aspect. I think this video was made to be a companion to a book, so she gives specific instruction about how to make specific blocks. She doesn't tell how to figure out what size piece of fabric to precut, and that is a big part of my problem. I went online and did a bit of research about how to figure out the size necessary and one blogger said to make the pieces 3/4" larger than measured. Because of my problems about covering the foundation I decided to go with it.
The ruler you see in the lower right of the picture above has lines every 1/8th inch. I used that to lay over the parts of the foundation and made them 3/4" larger. The foundation pattern underneath the ruler is a guide provided to piece correctly and I wrote the measurements I came up with on it. With the Singer block that I made I just listed each part and put the measurements on it, but this was a bit easier. Then I decided to go for it and cut the pieces out for the whole block. I then pinned the pieces to the foundation they will be sewn to.
So if you have given up on paper piecing, or never tried it because it seems too complicated...you might want to reconsider!
I'll post a picture when I'm done.
I'll need to figure out how to embroider the words.