Monday, June 21, 2010


The sad state of the bathroom: before. In this picture you really can't see the real state of the room. There are towels and cabinets and other stuff in the way. In the second picture you can see what the wall looked like behind the sink. We pulled out a really ugly home built cabinet when we moved back into the house, but didn't get around to making things look better because we were going to remodel the whole really...soon. When that didn't happen after a looooooong time, I decide we needed to make it look better, even if just for the short term. So, new stick on tile, new wainscoting to cover up the really ugly wall, new light, new medicine chest and soon to be installed a 3 drawer chest to keep bathroom junk in. We're finishing it to match the little vanity. We don't have a very wide bathroom, so decided to make the cabinets only 18" deep. That makes the room feel much larger. Not quite done yet, but not much to do.

Friday, June 11, 2010

I have been working...

...just not on quilting recently. We finally decided to fix up the bathroom. It has been a mess since the renters moved out. We pulled up the floor, the toilet and the vanity. We patched, painted, and soon I'll put the peel and stick floor in. I have to get some adhesive remover first though, to get the sticky off the floor (that will be today's fun). Then up goes the beadboard wainscoting, and then the toilet and sink back in.

I did my demonstration last night at the quilt guild about making kaleidoscope blocks. It seemed to be well received. I'll put the info on the blog probably next week. I had fun, and some of the members asked if I would be willing to teach a class. I think that would be fun too.

In the process of getting ready I bought Bethany Reynold's Stack n Wackipedia. I've had a pile of hexagon blocks that I was going to make into a duvet cover from many years ago--at least 5. It got too complicated so I just put it away However, she has a simpler quilt to make with a free pattern "Zippy Strippy". I pulled out the blocks and I'm going to use them to make the easier quilt. I'll be able to make 2 twin size tops with these blocks. I might send them on to QOV.  The fabric between the blocks in the picture is the original fabric. I'm going to put some of it in there, but I don't know where yet. It will be interesting to see where this leads.

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Stack n Whack Jungle

Here are some of the blocks for the new Stack n Whack quilt I'm making. I've had this fabric about 11 years (according to the selvedge it is a Hoffman from 1999). The fabric has a couple of spots that are large green leaves, so I'll end up with a number of leaf blocks. I am going to choose a color or colors for the corner blocks that will blend. I might use the bits of fabric I have left to fill them in so it sort of blends together. This one is fun, and very simple to do. This will be a sample for the presentation I am giving in a couple of weeks. I think I'll have the top done, but it certainly won't be quilted.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...